Back to FE
Back to FE; back to the future!
Being away from an area of work means returning can be intimidating. Almost all areas of employment these days have a dramatic pace of change and as FE has always been a place of innovation and development, diving back into this pool after a break can be intimidating. This set of pages is intended to provide some context and general information about recent changes to the general environment and the teacher/learner interface to help reacquaint you with the FE sphere. As I don’t want to make it too overwhelming, it provides pointers to where you can find out more, although the bottom line is that there is no substitute for having a go. Good luck! And you can always call us for a chat or drop an email...
What is the FE & Skills sector these days?
Further education includes:
- General FE colleges (GFEs);
- specialist colleges (for example land based or residential special educational needs);
- Independent Training Providers (ITPs) some of whom are part of the charitable or “Third” sector;
- Work Based Learning (WBL);
- Adult and Community Learning (ACL); and
- education and training in the justice sector [prisons and Young Offender Institutes] for offenders and young offenders.
Sixth form colleges are not currently regarded as part of the FE sector, rather are seen as part of the schools sector.
The following is a list of topics we have compiled some notes on, each linking to another page