Call: 0300 303 1877

I want to be a teacher in FE & Skills

Teaching in the sector broadly falls into one of three areas: 

  • Vocational training
  • Academic teaching
  • Basic Skills

There are different expectations on teachers for each of these areas. 

As a vocational teacher [or trainer], you are expected to be a ‘dual professional’.  This means you are both an expert in your own professional area [eg Plumbing or Hairdressing] and an expert teacher.  You would therefore be expected to hold substantial qualifications and/or experience in your particular area and have or be willing to gain a teaching qualification.

As an academic teacher you would likewise be expected to have a qualification in the subject you teach [usually a degree] and a teaching qualification or willingness to get one.

As a basic skills teacher you would usually be expected to have some particular experience with and/or qualifications in dealing with the specific group you intend to teach, be it numeracy, literacy, ESOL or Special Needs [SEN], alongside a teaching qualification or willingness to get one.  A set of qualifications particularly about teaching these student groups have been developed - the specialist diplomas [for more information, click on the link below]

The following links will take you to pages giving further information of relevance. 

You may also wish to download our general information sheet 001, Working in the FE & Skills sector, which covers much of what someone new to the sector may wish to know.  You can download it here  Information sheet 001 branded May 2017.pdf

Page last updated on: 2nd June 2017 - 17:05